Washington/New Delhi, May 17 -- A fresh warning from Donald Trump has heightened tensions between Washington and Tehran as negotiations over Iran's nuclear programme and the broader regional conflict remain stalled. In a message posted on Truth Social on Sunday, Trump said, "For Iran, the Clock is ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE." The statement came at a time when both sides continue to disagree on key demands related to uranium stockpiles, sanctions relief and compensation linked to months of fighting across the Middle East.

The warning followed a phone call between Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu, during which the two leaders discussed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran. Israeli media reports said Trump also briefed Netanyahu on his recent visit to China. The exchange highlights growing concern in Washington and Tel Aviv that diplomacy may fail to resolve the crisis.

Details of the US proposal have emerged through Iran's semi-official Fars News Agency. According to the report, Washington has outlined a five-point framework that includes transferring around 400 kilograms of enriched uranium to the United States, limiting Iran to a single operational nuclear facility and dropping demands for compensation for wartime damage. The proposal also states that most of Iran's frozen overseas assets would remain blocked and that any end to the war would come only after negotiations conclude.

Iran has rejected these terms and set out its own conditions for returning to talks. Tehran has called for an immediate end to military operations across the region, including in Lebanon, and has demanded that sanctions be lifted and its frozen assets released. It has also insisted on compensation for damages caused during the conflict and recognition of its sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz, a critical route for global oil shipments.

The strategic waterway has become a focal point of the standoff. Iran has tightened control over shipping movements through the strait, while the United States has increased pressure through a naval blockade targeting Iranian ports and maritime trade. These developments have contributed to disruptions in global energy supply, pushing up oil prices and affecting international markets.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has accused the US and Israel of attempting to destabilise Iran during the conflict. Speaking during a meeting with Pakistan's interior minister, Mohsin Naqvi, Pezeshkian said the effort aimed to create internal insecurity by supporting militant groups. He added that the plan failed because neighbouring countries refused to allow their territories to be used for attacks against Iran. He also expressed appreciation to Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq for their stance during the conflict.

The current deadlock comes more than a month after a ceasefire was reached in April through mediation by Pakistan. While the truce halted large-scale fighting, it has not led to a lasting political settlement. Trump has said previously that the ceasefire was agreed to at Pakistan's request and indicated that further military escalation had been avoided for that reason.Despite the pause in direct confrontation, talks have remained frozen since last week after both sides rejected each other's latest proposals. Officials familiar with the negotiations have indicated that while the US administration is seeking a deal to end the conflict, Iran's refusal to scale back its nuclear programme has raised the possibility of military options being reconsidered.

The prolonged conflict has also placed pressure on the US economy, with rising energy costs becoming a concern ahead of the November midterm elections. As diplomatic efforts continue without progress, the situation remains uncertain, with both sides holding firm on their positions and the risk of renewed escalation still present.

with agency inputs

Published by HT Digital Content Services with permission from Millennium Post.