Postmaster dies by suicide
PRAYAGRAJ, May 20 -- A 55-year-old postmaster of Subedarganj post office allegedly died by suicide at his residence in Dev Prayyaag Colony under Airport police station limits on Tuesday morning. His body was found hanging inside a room, police said.
Police also recovered a suicide note from the spot.
SHO of Airport police station Rajesh Upadhyay said that the suicide note recovered from the room alleged that an employee of the post office had failed to deposit around Rs.65 lakh collected from account holders on Saturday to the main post office. In the note, the deceased reportedly claimed innocence and stated that he had handed over the money to the employee concerned.
Police said the suicide note would be sent to the forensic laboratory for examination and further action would be taken on the basis of statements of family members and departmental employees.
The blood-soaked body of a 14-year-old high school student was found in bushes near the railway line close to Meja Road railway station in the trans-Yamuna region of the district on Tuesday morning. The deceased was identified as Sameer, a resident of Panti village in Meja, police said.
The victim's family accused eight villagers of murdering the boy over an old rivalry and dumping his body near the railway tracks. Police registered an FIR against all named accused and detained three persons for questioning, officials shared.
According to police, Sameer, the only son of porter Rajaram and younger brother of two sisters, left home on Monday evening but did not return until late night.
Family members searched for him but could not trace his whereabouts.
On Tuesday morning, some villagers grazing goats near the railway station spotted the body lying in bushes and alerted the police. ACP (Meja) Sant Prasad Upadhyay, Station House Officer Deendayal Singh, and police outpost in-charge Hariom Singh reached the spot with police personnel.
Police said multiple injury marks were found on Sameer's body, and his face was tied with a handkerchief.
SHO Deendayal Singh said an FIR was registered based on the complaint of the victim's mother Anita Devi against eight persons from Panti village including Rajesh Kumar, Naveen, Praveen, Sachin, Bhola, Manish, Mani and Madanlal. Police detained Rajesh and his sons Naveen and Praveen for questioning.
Officials said the exact cause of death would be confirmed after the post-mortem examination report.
A priest (Panda), Martand Prakash Dubey, who was critically injured in a shooting earlier this month, died during treatment at a hospital late Monday night. Dubey had sustained four bullet injuries after being attacked by two bike-borne assailants on the night of May 4.
Police said an FIR had already been registered at Kydganj police station against the victim's two sons and daughter-in-law on charges of conspiring to kill him over a property dispute.
According to police, 60-year-old Martand Prakash Dubey, a resident of Chaukhandi, was sitting near the Kali temple outside his house around 10:15 pm on May 4, talking to some people when two unidentified motorcycle-borne assailants arrived, opened fire, and fled the spot. He was rushed to SRN Hospital in a critical condition for treatment.
His condition deteriorated on Monday evening, following which he was shifted to a private hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries around 2:30 am on Tuesday, police confirmed.
The priest's second wife, Sarita Gupta, lodged a named FIR the day after the incident against her stepsons Shaleen and Vicky, and daughter-in-law Dolly. She alleged that the accused hired shooters to eliminate Dubey due to an ongoing property dispute. The matter regarding the property is currently pending before a court. However, even 15 days after the shooting, police have not yet identified the assailants involved in the attack.
SHO of Kydganj police station Pritam Tiwari confirmed Martand Prakash Dubey's death and said the preliminary investigation points toward a family property dispute. He added that further investigation is underway and confirmed that no arrests have been made so far in the case.
Police investigation revealed that Prakash Dubey married Sarita Gupta in 2014 against the family's wishes after his first wife's death. The couple resided and owned property in Ahmedabad, though Dubey frequently visited Prayagraj. Authorities shared that a long-standing property dispute between Dubey and his sons has been ongoing in court.
Six people were arrested on Tuesday from Paterava village under the Sarnath police station area for allegedly defrauding unemployed youths by promising them jobs, police confirmed. A police team conducted a raid and arrested the accused, who were operating an organised syndicate disguised as a legitimate call centre.
According to police, the fraudulent network has been active for a long time, with many young men and women falling prey to their deception. Assistant commissioner of police, Sarnath, Vidush Saxena, revealed that gang members contacted victims through social media and mobile calls, promising employment in various companies.
The gang extorted money for registration, training and security fees, taking up to Rs.30,000 from victims in the name of providing kits. Under a pyramid scheme structure, the youth were made to sell clothes and Ayurvedic medicines, and were asked to add friends to the network. Those who added friends received Rs.5,000.
During the raid, police seized several mobile phones, documents, registers and electronic devices, which are currently being examined as the investigation continues....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.