MEERUT, May 19 -- A 21-year-old man was arrested on Sunday night for allegedly murdering a 20-year-old student from Meerut on May 15, police said on Monday. During interrogation, the accused, identified as Ankush, told investigators he had known the victim for nearly three years and had been in regular contact with her. He claimed they were in a relationship and said he became suspicious after seeing chats with another man on her mobile phone, which allegedly led to a violent confrontation and her murder. As per the information, the victim had left home on May 15 to appear for her BA third-year Political Science examination at a degree college but did not return. After failing to trace her despite repeated efforts, the family lodged a missing person complaint at TP Nagar Police Station later that evening. On May 17, her decomposed body was recovered from a sugarcane field in Uksiya village under the jurisdiction of Rohta Police Station, about 25 kilometres from her home. According to police, the victim's face was badly disfigured due to decomposition, and investigators suspect acid may have been poured on the body in an attempt to destroy evidence after the murder. However, as no signs of struggle were found at the spot, investigators believe the student was killed elsewhere and her body was later dumped in the field. Based on the family's complaint, police registered a case against Ankush and his two associates, Nishant and Ankit. While Ankush was arrested from his residence late Sunday night, the other two accused remain absconding, said senior superintendent of police Avinash Pandey. During the investigation, police also recovered a note from the victim's mobile phone suggesting she was experiencing fear and anxiety before the incident, he added. The victim's father also alleged that Ankush had been harassing his daughter for nearly two years. He claimed that the accused had earlier tried to abduct her, following which a village panchayat was held and Ankush publicly apologised. However, the alleged harassment continued. Heavy police deployment remained in the village on Monday after the victim's cremation, which was carried out around 8 am under police supervision. Barricades were erected at the village entry points, and vehicles were being checked to prevent any untoward incident. Reacting to the incident, Chandrashekhar Azad demanded strict action against the accused and financial assistance for the victim's family in a post on X....