New Delhi, Aug. 17 -- The camps looked like they might begin to empty on Sunday. By Monday afternoon, nobody was moving.

it had stood at 53 as recently as Sunday morning, before rescue teams reached communities that had been cut off since Saturday's initial earthquake struck just before dawn.

Indonesia's National Disaster Management Authority, known as BNPB, said the toll had climbed to 65 by Monday. At least 135 people have sustained injuries in an event that struck on the morning of the country's 81st Independence Day, while communities in the island's interior were still getting to their feet.

"They are mainly afraid of aftershocks," Berton Panjaitan, communications head at BNPB, said of the people who will not go back. The Monday t...