Canada US Trade War: Carney Says Talks Failed as Washington's 50% Tariffs Take Effect
New Delhi, Aug. 23 -- The talks were supposed to buy time. When the United States extended its tariff deadline by three days last week to allow negotiations, both governments privately signaled a deal was possible. By early Saturday, both governments had acknowledged it was not.
"They asked too much and offered too little." US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, in a statement released hours later, said Washington was "moving forward with measures that respond to Canadian retaliation" and confirmed there were "no new planned talks."
The 50% tariffs - targeting roughly $20 billion in Canadian goods, about 5% of Canada's annual exports to the United States - went into effect early Saturday morning. Trump deployed Section 338 of the Smoot...
Click here to read full article from source
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.