Manila, Aug. 19 -- President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. said Wednesday that floodwaters in Metro Manila are receding faster and reaching lower levels, citing initial gains from the government's flood-control and water-management efforts despite increasingly intense rainfall.

Speaking after a situation briefing on the effects of the southwest monsoon or "habagat," held at the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Command Center in Pasig City, Marcos said floodwaters that previously took two to three days to subside now recede in less than a day.

"Mas mabilis na ang paglabas ng tubig. Kung dati maghihintay ang tao ng dalawa, tatlong araw para mawala ang baha, ngayon wala pang isang araw, wala na (The water recedes much faster now. In th...