Fiji, Aug. 19 -- China has dismissed claims by Palau President Surangel Whipps Jr over a recent Chinese missile test-launch, describing them as "completely groundless" and "malicious in intent".

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Lin Jian made the comments on Tuesday when asked about reports that Whipps had called on Pacific island countries to form a "united position" on China's missile test.

Lin said China had already made its position clear on the test launch.

"The claims by the Palauan side are completely groundless, malicious in intent and not worth mentioning," Lin said.

Whipps has questioned why China chose to conduct the test-launch near Tuvalu and Solomon Islands, rather than over the vast open waters between China and the...