Siliguri, Aug. 4 -- Arjun Singh, minister for Labour and Transport department of the government of West Bengal, has announced a series of strict reformatory measures for the tea industry and public transport in North Bengal, warning that those exploiting workers or violating transport regulations will face zero tolerance.

The minister warned against extortion and corruption by people allegedly using the party's name, saying that such individuals would be identified and expelled. He also assured that strict action would be taken against government employees found to be involved in corruption.

On Tuesday, the minister visited a creche and health centre for tea garden workers' children in Panighata and Shramik Bhavan in Dagapur, Siliguri. Thereafter, the minister held an administrative meeting at the State Guest House in Siliguri.

"Several tea gardens had been controlled by unscrupulous groups through legal loopholes and political patronage under the previous government. Those unable to run their gardens properly would be asked to surrender them, failing which the administration would take legal steps to ensure their operation under a transparent system. Those who fail to pay wages, gratuity and PF will not get renewal," said the minister.

The Labour Department will also deploy its own legal team to pursue cases involving closed tea gardens caught in National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) complications. The government is further exploring horticulture and tea tourism to create employment opportunities, while stricter conditions are being imposed to prevent the sale of tea garden land or construction of resorts in the name of tea tourism.

The minister also stated that the labour code will be implemented in Bengal.

Thereafter, a fixed minimum wage will be decided for tea garden workers.

On the transport front, Singh announced that modern Vehicle Fitness Centres would be established in every district. Fitness checks would be based on proper technical examinations rather than paperwork alone. Special monitoring has been ordered for school buses and pool cars to ensure children's safety. Vehicles over 15 years old, as well as those without valid documents, permits or fitness certificates, would not be allowed to operate

on the roads.

The minister said: "The Additional District Magistrates, Regional Transport Officers and Motor Vehicle Inspectors had been instructed to coordinate directly with schools to identify and stop illegal vehicles."

Singh also ruled out speculation that free bus services for women would be discontinued. Instead, a KYC-based digital e-card, or "Pink Card", would be introduced to ensure the benefit reaches eligible passengers more accurately. He claimed that departmental revenue had increased by nearly 10 per cent last month.

Published by HT Digital Content Services with permission from Millennium Post.