KOTA KINABALU, Aug. 23 -- Sabah's unemployment rate declined to 5.5 per cent in the first quarter of 2026 from six per cent in the fourth quarter of last year, reflecting positive developments in the state's labour market.

Chief Minister Datuk Seri Panglima Hajiji Noor said Sabah recorded the most significant reduction in unemployment among all states in Malaysia during the first quarter of this year.

He said the improvement reflected the effectiveness of policies and initiatives implemented by the state government, supported by cooperation with Federal agencies.

"Through the efforts of the Ministry of Human Resources (Kesuma) and the Social Security Organisation (Socso), a total of 71,821 job placements were recorded in Sabah from 202...