Govt failed its promises: Asya Bano
India, May 20 -- Asya Bano, 45, watched her second floor home built with tin sheets several years ago, being demolished on Tuesday. The house, illegally built, was bulldozed along with her clothes still drying on a nylon rope. Bano, who works as a house help, and her family of eight looked on in resignation sitting by the pavement outside Bandra (East) railway station.
The family moved here after the 1992 riots from Prabhadevi where they lived from the 1980s. "We shifted in this 8x10 room which we learnt to look upon as our home. My three children and their families have grown here since then," said Bano, a migrant from Karnataka.
She recalled the first time the railways started demolishing their homes in 2016-17 after a fire had engulfed the area, following which, residents formed a welfare association for Garib Nagar and approached the courts.
"Around 2021-22, the government even promised us around Rs.2,000 each month for six to eight months as compensation and provide alternate accommodation. It did not materialise. A few days ago officials from the railways pasted notices telling us to vacate ahead of the anti-encroachment drive. We have not thought of the next step and will probably stay here (on the road) for now. We will approach the higher courts collectively," she said.
Her son Jafar Sadiq, 27, who works as a driver, added: "The elders have been fighting to restore our homes' legal status for quite some years now. All we know now is that all our furniture and fixtures are out on the road under a scorching sun. We have nowhere to go, but thinking of the next move."...
इस लेख के रीप्रिंट को खरीदने या इस प्रकाशन का पूरा फ़ीड प्राप्त करने के लिए, कृपया
हमे संपर्क करें.