135 accidents, 103 deaths in 2025 on 38-km hwy stretch
Mumbai, May 20 -- According to data from the traffic police, the 38-kilometre stretch from Dahisar to Ashad in Palghar on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway saw 135 accidents in 2025, resulting in the death of 103 people, while in the first four months of this year, 20 people died in road accidents. Tuesday's accident occurred on the same stretch.
Traffic police officers said most accidents occurred due to vehicles not following the speed limit and lane discipline. They also raised concern about 19 blind spots along this stretch, including 13 in Vasai-Virar and six in Mira-Bhyander.
Police officers said that they had communicated several times to the NHAI to install thermoplastic rumblers, blinkers, signboards and higher median dividers along the stretch, so that pedestrians did not cross over. Requests were also made for provision of foot over bridges and removal of encroachments on the service roads, the officers said.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (traffic) Ashok Virkar said the NHAI had been informed about necessary safety measures in accident-prone zones. "We have also increased night-time patrols on the highway and begun taking action against those involved in illegal parking or driving on the wrong side. To prevent road accidents, it is imperative that motorists strictly adhere to traffic regulations while traveling on the highway," Virkar said.
Suhas Chitnis, Project Director, NHAI, said a new agency had been appointed to implement safety measures in accident-prone areas along the highway. "Through this agency, rumbler strips, directional signages and reflectors will be installed. Work on increasing the height of central dividers will also commence shortly," Chitnis said.megha sood...
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.