UP mulling law to ban Chinese manjha: Govt informs high court
LUCKNOW, May 20 -- The Uttar Pradesh government has informed the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad high court that it is preparing a stringent law to curb the manufacture, sale and use of lethal 'Chinese manjha'.
The state said compensation for victims is also being considered under the proposed legislation, likely to be named the UP Lethal Manjha (Prohibition of Manufacture, Sale and Use) Act.
A division bench of Justice Rajan Roy and Justice Manjive Shukla was also informed that amendments to the Police Act are being contemplated and that a recent enforcement drive had been conducted against the illegal trade.The submissions were made on May 11 during the hearing of a 2018 PIL filed by lawyer ML Yadav, who appeared in person, along with a connected PIL seeking a strict ban on the import, sale and use of Chinese manjha across UP. The court order was uploaded on May 18.
The bench said that the deliberations on the proposed enactment shall be expedited, and something tangible in the form of an enactment should come out as soon as possible, before the next date of hearing.
Intervenor advocate SMH Rizvi appeared on behalf of manufacturers and traders dealing in kites and traditional kite-flying materials. He argued that under the guise of action against Chinese manjha, authorities were also confiscating traditional and non-harmful kite-flying materials and harassing businessmen. The bench asked state authorities to ensure that no harassment is caused to the businessmen who are not indulging in the illegal and prohibited activities.The court directed to list this matter on July 13 for next hearing.
--MANOJ KUMAR SINGH...
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.