India, May 21 -- The enforcement team of the Department of Town and Country Planning (DTCP) on Wednesday demolished over 900 illegal shanties in Saraswati Kunj as part of a three-day drive to clear encroachments from government land, officials said.

DTCP officials said the demolition drive began on Monday, and over 1,700 shanties constructed in violation of rules have been removed so far.

"On Wednesday around 900 illegal shanties were removed and four acres of government land were vacated. The drive was carried out with the support of Gurugram police. The demolition drive has been carried out on the directions of Deputy Commissioner Gurugram, who is also the administrator of the Saraswati Kunj Colony," said Amit Madholia, district town ...