Pakistan, May 19 -- US President Donald Trump said he postponed a planned military strike on Iran after Gulf leaders urged restraint, citing renewed hopes for diplomacy to end the ongoing conflict.

Trump revealed that a large-scale assault had been prepared for Tuesday after Iran rejected the outlines of a proposed agreement. However, leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates reportedly requested that Washington delay military action, arguing that serious negotiations were underway.

Read More: Pakistan relays revised Iranian proposal to US

In a post on his social media platform, Trump said Gulf allies believed a deal could still be reached and asked him to "hold off" on the planned operation. He added that the US mi...