Washington, May 19 -- US President Donald Trump has said that the United States has decided to hold off a planned military strike on Iran following requests from key Middle Eastern leaders, amid ongoing negotiations aimed at reaching a deal over Iran's nuclear programme.

Trump said he had been requested by the Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to suspend the planned military attack on the Islamic Republic of Iran, which he claimed was scheduled for the following day.

Trump stated that "serious negotiations" are currently taking place and expressed hope that a deal acceptable to the United States, Middle Eastern countries, and the wider in...