Dhaka, May 19 -- Government negotiations with the International Monetary Fund on the release of next tranches of its US$5.5-billion credit programme couldn't make tangible progress, sources say, prompting IMF rethink.

After returning home from Washington, DC, Finance Minister Amir Khasru Mahmud Chowdhury in a briefing on April 19 told newsmen that the discussion with the IMF was going on and "it may continue 15 to 20 days, even a month". Mr Chowdhury and his team had discussed with the IMF high-ups the reform conditions on the sidelines of the Spring Meetings of the IMF and the World Bank Group on April 13-18.

However, people familiar with the developments told The Financial Express that there was hardly any progress made so far which c...