Nigeria, May 20 -- The Nigerian government has commenced the payment of outstanding 2025 allowances to Nigerian students studying abroad under the Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship programme.

In a statement issued on Wednesday, the spokesperson for the Ministry of Education, Folasade Boriowo, said the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had remitted approved funds to Nigerian embassies and missions for onward disbursement to beneficiaries in partner countries.

Last year, the Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, announced the discontinuation of the BEA scholarship.

Mr Alausa said the government would no longer approve new scholars for the programme, but noted existing scholars will be allowed to complete their studies while rece...