Manila, Feb. 10 -- The Philippines is not closing its doors on the possibility of acquiring 20 Lockheed Martin F-16 fighter jets from the United States, Philippine Ambassador to the U.S. Jose Manuel Romualdez said Tuesday.

At a US-Philippines Society press conference, the envoy said the potential purchase "is not within budget," but talks between the Philippines and Lockheed Martin continue.

"We're not closing the door, but it'll take quite some really imaginative and creative ways to be able to purchase," he said.

The Philippine government previously submitted a letter of intent to procure 16 F-16C Block 70/72 fighter jets and four F-16D Block 70/72 aircraft from the U.S.

In April, the U.S. Department of State announced that the Amer...