New Delhi, April 3 -- Iran shot down a US F-15E fighter jet, and a search-and-rescue operation is currently underway for the two crew members, a US official said, according to Bloomberg, adding this would be the first combat loss of a US fighter jet in the five-week conflict, representing a major escalation in a war that has already sparked a global energy crisis.

The New York Times, which first reported that a fighter jet had been downed, said the status of the crew remains unknown.

"Military forces have launched a search operation to find the American fighter pilot who was hit earlier today," Iran's Fars news agency confirmed.

The Iranian state media IRIB posted map of Iran highlighting the area where two American pilots are being hu...