New Delhi, May 19 -- US President Donald Trump said on Monday (May 18) that he has ordered a pause on a planned US military attack against Iran after appeals from key Middle Eastern leaders who said negotiations were underway and a diplomatic agreement could still be reached.

In a lengthy statement posted on his social media platform Truth Social, Trump said the planned strike had been scheduled for "tomorrow" but would now be postponed while talks continue.

Trump said the request came from the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

"I have been asked by the Emir of Qatar, Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed...