
New Delhi, May 14 -- A 30-year-old woman was allegedly gang-raped inside a private sleeper bus in northwest Delhi, in an incident that has triggered fresh concern over women's safety in the national capital and drawn comparisons with the 2012 Nirbhaya case. The Delhi Police said the driver and conductor of the bus have been arrested and the vehicle seized, while a detailed investigation is underway into the assault that took place late on May 11.
According to police officials, the woman, who works at a factory in Mangolpuri and lives in a slum cluster in Pitampura, was returning home on foot when the incident occurred near the B-Block bus stand in Saraswati Vihar. As per her statement, she approached a man standing at the door of a sleeper bus to ask for the time. She alleged that she was forcibly pulled inside the vehicle, after which the bus was driven towards Nangloi.
Police sources said the bus was later stationed near the Nangloi Metro station, where both the driver and conductor allegedly raped her in turn. The woman, who is married and has three children, told investigators that she was assaulted for an extended period before being dumped out of the vehicle.
The police received a PCR call regarding the incident at around 4.45 am on May 12. Initially handled by Nangloi police, the case was subsequently transferred to Rani Bagh police station. Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer) Vikram Singh said, "The victim's statement was recorded immediately and an FIR registered without delay."
The FIR was lodged under sections 64(1) (rape), 70(1) (gang rape) and 3(5) (common intention) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita on May 12. Officials said the woman was provided immediate assistance, medically examined, and her statement recorded soon after she approached the police.
Multiple police teams were formed to trace the accused. One of the men was arrested soon after the FIR was registered, while the second was apprehended within four hours. Both were produced before a court and sent to judicial custody.
Investigators said they are reconstructing the sequence of events and mapping the route taken by the bus from the point where the woman was allegedly dragged inside. CCTV footage from the surrounding areas is being analysed to establish movement patterns and determine whether any other passengers were present during the incident.
Forensic teams have been deployed to collect evidence from the bus, and officials said medical and forensic reports will be examined closely. Police are also probing whether the bus was operational at the time and if it had automatic doors.
Sahil Malhotra, owner of the bus service, said he cooperated with the police after being informed about the incident. He stated that the driver had been employed with him for around one and a half years and had no prior criminal record.
The victim's husband told reporters that she sustained minor injuries on her face and hands during the assault. "We got to know she was dragged into the bus and raped by two men. The police have supported us fully," he said, adding that the family is seeking strict punishment for the accused.
The incident has drawn sharp reactions from political leaders. Former Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal said on social media, "We learned nothing from Nirbhaya. This incident is a stain on the entire society." Leaders of the Aam Aadmi Party also condemned the assault, calling it a matter of grave concern.
The case comes against the backdrop of data from the National Crime Records Bureau, which reported that Delhi recorded 13,396 crimes against women in 2024, the highest among 19 metropolitan cities. Of these, 1,058 were rape cases.
Police said further investigation is ongoing and assured that efforts are being made to ensure a strong case and a speedy trial.
Published by HT Digital Content Services with permission from Millennium Post.