
Kolkata, May 13 -- State Food and Supplies Minister Ashok Kirtania on Wednesday said ration shops would stop distributing atta and instead provide wheat to beneficiaries. He also assured that quality rice would be supplied through ration shops from June.
Speaking to reporters in the Assembly after taking the oath, Kirtania said he was determined to uproot what he described as "institutional corruption" in the rationing system. Ensuring better quality wheat and rice for common people would now be the department's top priority, he added.
According to sources, complaints had been received against a section of dealers and distributors for supplying poor-quality atta and rice through ration shops.
"We receive top-quality wheat from the Centre, but the quality gets compromised during conversion into atta. Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari has made it clear that there should be no compromise in the supply of foodgrains through the ration system. We will ensure that the best quality rice and wheat reach beneficiaries," Kirtania said.
He alleged that there had been instances where customers refused to accept foodgrains and instead took cash in lieu of their allotment.
"From June, if we find any compromise in quality, the concerned mill owner, wholesaler and ration dealer will face strict action," the minister said.
Kirtania said he would conduct surprise visits to ration shops to monitor quality. He also indicated that files relating to alleged financial irregularities in the Food Department during the previous government's tenure would be reopened. All allegations against former ministers and officials would be thoroughly investigated and no guilty person would be spared, he said.
Published by HT Digital Content Services with permission from Millennium Post.