India, Aug. 17 -- Odisha Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi is scheduled to visit flood-hit Bhadrak and Jajpur districts on Monday as the state remains on high alert following an IMD forecast of extremely heavy rain in the wake of the formation of a fresh low-pressure area over the Bay of Bengal. The state has evacuated more than 2.37 lakh people to safety as heavy rain continued for the second day, worsening the situation in several flood-hit northern districts, an official said. Taking to X, Majhi said the government was closely monitoring the situation and that local administrations were carrying out rescue and relief operations. Also Read - Qaumi Insaaf Morcha protest: Former MP Simranjit Mann booked, 17 others arrested Advertisement "Ensuring swift assistance reaches the affected people and their safety is our topmost priority. Tomorrow morning, I will visit the flood-affected areas to directly assess the situation. Please follow the administration's directives and stay safe; the government is always with you," he said. Majhi said three senior officers had been assigned to oversee rescue and relief operations in Balasore, Bhadrak and Jajpur, while the Special Relief Commissioner was coordinating with district administrations. Chief Secretary Anu Garg, who reviewed the situation following the IMD forecast, said leave of all government employees had been cancelled and those on leave were asked to report for duty immediately. "We have asked the district collectors to remain on high alert as the IMD has forecast very heavy rain for three days from August 16 to 18."

Published by HT Digital Content Services with permission from Millennium Post.