India, Aug. 21 -- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma and his Assam counterpart Himanta Biswa Sarma on Thursday agreed to work together to restore peace and normalcy following violent clashes during a Khasi Students' Union (KSU) bike rally in Shillong that left 16 people injured and damaged 31 vehicles. The two chief ministers held talks over Wednesday's violence and its fallout, particularly attacks on Assam-registered vehicles, amid heightened security in Shillong and along the Meghalaya-Assam border. Sangma said he discussed the "unfortunate violence" with Sarma and its impact on common people and commuters of both states. He said designated Cabinet ministers from Meghalaya and Assam would meet to take the discussions forward and explore ways to restore "peace, trust and normalcy". Also Read - ADB to provide Rs 1,750 cr for development of 500 KPS schools in Karnataka Advertisement Sarma said he conveyed Assam's concern over the incidents, particularly those involving vehicles registered in the neighbouring state. He asked Assam Border Protection Minister Atul Bora to coordinate closely with Meghalaya authorities to ensure peace and normalcy between the two states. The Centre, meanwhile, approved the deployment of five companies of central forces in Meghalaya till August 25 to assist the state police in maintaining law and order. The Union Home Ministry cleared four companies of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and one company of the Rapid Action Force (RAF) after the Meghalaya Home (Police) Department reported a "sudden deterioration" in the law-and-order situation in Shillong. Also Read - Toying with youths' future unacceptable: Tejashwi extends RJD support to Patna's student protesters The Meghalaya High Court also took suo motu cognisance of the violence and directed authorities to take prompt and effective steps to apprehend those involved. A division bench of Justice H S Thangkhiew and Justice W Diengdoh sought a report on the action taken by August 24. The court observed that the violence had resulted in damage to government, police and commercial vehicles and allegedly endangered residents, including schoolchildren. The Advocate General informed the court that steps had been taken and some members of the organisation arrested. Meanwhile, traffic between Assam and Meghalaya was disrupted on Thursday, after Guwahati-based cab operators blocked National Highway-27 for vehicles from the hill state, protesting against the violence. Also Read - 26/11 attacks: Cops seek MHA help to serve order against Hafiz Saeed, 5 others for trial in absentia Hundreds of passengers and Meghalaya-registered vehicles were stranded near the Assam-Meghalaya border, after the cab operators blocked the highway to voice displeasure over the violent incidents that took place during the KSU bike rally. Police said 15 FIRs have been registered in connection with Wednesday's violence, which involved stone-pelting, vandalism, arson and assaults at several locations, including Fire Brigade, Nongmensong, Polo, Barik and Mawlai. Two vehicles were set ablaze, while 31 vehicles were damaged. Three senior KSU leaders -- president Raymond Kharjana, vice-president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar -- were arrested and remanded in 14 days' judicial custody. They were booked under various provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita in connection with alleged damage to public property, assault and other offences. Also Read - App-based ride bookings in UP to face stricter regulation; Yogi government keeping a close watch on fares The arrests came hours after KSU leaders expressed regret over the violence but denied that its members were involved in vandalism and arson. They alleged that "vested interests" had infiltrated the rally to sabotage the organisation's agitation. The rally was organised to press the KSU's five-point charter, including implementation of the Meghalaya Residents Safety and Security Act, regulation of migrant workers, government recruitment reforms, action regarding recruitment at NEIGRIHMS, cancellation of the July 31 public hearing for a proposed Shree Cement project in East Jaintia Hills and implementation of the Inner Line Permit. Police have intensified searches to identify and arrest other persons allegedly involved. The violence also saw the reported vandalism of busts of Swami Vivekananda and Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. A midnight police raid at the KSU office in Jaiaw also drew criticism from former leaders, who alleged excessive use of force.
Published by HT Digital Content Services with permission from Millennium Post.