Mumbai, May 20 -- The Maharashtra government on Tuesday signed memorandums of understanding (MoUs) for projects aimed at generating 25,400 MW of nuclear power, involving an estimated investment of Rs.6.5 lakh crore. Of the four proposed projects, three are planned in the Konkan region's Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg districts, officials said, with Adani Power proposing a 6,000 MW nuclear plant at Barsu in Ratnagiri-a site that had earlier sparked massive protests over a proposed oil refinery project. According to a statement released by the Maharashtra government, it has signed MoUs with Adani Power, Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), NTPC Limited, and the Lalitpur Power Generation Company Limited. The development comes months after India opened up its civil nuclear power sector to private companies. In December 2025, the Parliament passed the Sustainable Harnessing and Advancement of Nuclear Energy for Transforming India (SHANTI) Bill, ending a six-decade state monopoly on nuclear power generation. Adani Power plans to invest Rs.1.5 lakh crore in Maharashtra to generate 6,000 MW of energy, creating around 12,000 jobs. However, its proposed location for the power plant-Barsu, according to officials-is controversial. A proposed oil refinery at the small, coastal village had faced stiff opposition from local residents and activists over concerns related to land acquisition, environmental degradation and the impact on the ecologically sensitive Konkan region. RIL has proposed Purnagadh in the Ratnagiri district for its 7,200 MW nuclear plant, officials said. The company plans to invest Rs.2 lakh crore and create employment opportunities for over 100,000 people, according to the statement. NTPC Limited has said it would invest Rs.1 lakh crore to generate 7,200 MW of nuclear power and create around 5,000 jobs. The company has proposed setting up a power plant in Devgad in Sindhudurg district, officials said. The Lalitpur Power Generation Company Limited, part of the Bajaj Group, has said it would invest Rs.2 lakh crore for projects expected to generate 5,000 MW of power and create around 3,000 jobs, the statement said. The company has not proposed any site so far. An energy department official said representatives of three of the four companies attended the MoU signing ceremony on Tuesday, while the Lalitpur Power Generation Company Limited will complete the formalities later, as its officials were abroad....