SGNP survey identifies 16.4k families for rehabilitation
MUMBAI, Feb. 16 -- The long-running battle over rehabilitation inside Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) has intensified after the park authorities identified 16,478 families as eligible for housing under its latest survey, even as sections of the adivasi community accused officials of harassment and deliberate attempts to "confuse" residents.
The survey, conducted by M/s Grant Thornton Bharat LLP between January 2025 and early February, is the fifth such exercise to enumerate families living within the protected forest. According to offiacials, the exercise was aimed at identifying residents who can prove they were living inside the park prior to January 1, 1995, the cut-off date for rehabilitation eligibility.
Kiran Patil, deputy director (South) of SGNP, said the survey found 16,478 families meeting the eligibility criteria. However, the figure falls short of the park's internal estimate of over 23,000 families residing within its boundaries.
"Many residents refused to cooperate with the surveyors and failed to provide documentation," Patil said. "Since our estimates suggested over 23,000 families, we have asked everyone, including those not on the list, to approach us with documentary proof of having resided here before January 1, 1995."
Officials said this is the "last opportunity" for eligible residents to claim rehabilitation housing. The list of identified families has been uploaded on the state forest department's website and displayed at the SGNP deputy director's office and park notice boards.
The survey agency, Patil added, has previously been associated with the implementation of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY), and was tasked with specifically identifying eligible beneficiaries.
Tribal residents have questioned the intent behind the latest survey, alleging that authorities have repeatedly collected documents from forest hamlets, many inhabited for generations, while simultaneously branding them as encroachers in court. "They take our papers again and again. They conduct surveys, yet in court they seek demolition of our homes. Now they ask us to prove eligibility once more," said a resident who requested anonymity, citing fear of retaliation.
Tensions escalated on January 27 when forest officials reportedly initiated demolition action against residents who had already claimed rehabilitation housing in Chandivali.
Police cases were filed against 16 individuals, some of whom were also barred from jobs linked to Sanjay Gandhi National Park.
Devendra Thakur of the Birsa Munda Adivasi Shramik Sanghtana alleged that civic services, including BEST buses and school transport vans, were halted, affecting livelihoods. The group has approached the chief minister seeking reinstatement and rehabilitation near the park.
Officials say they are following a May 7, 1997 order of the Bombay High Court and note that 11,336 families were earlier resettled. Meanwhile, residents have filed claims under the Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act, 2006, adding a fresh legal layer to the dispute....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.