Demolition enters final phase; 19 arrested so far for violence
MUMBAI, May 23 -- After three days of razing large portions of Garib Nagar in Bandra East, Western Railway's anti-encroachment drive entered its fourth and penultimate phase on Friday, leaving several families homeless amid the sweltering May heat.
The demolition drive, which began on May 19 following a Bombay High Court order, has already witnessed violent clashes between residents and authorities, leading to the arrest of over 16 persons and detention of juveniles. On Friday, the Nirmal Nagar police arrested three more people in connection with the violence that erupted during Wednesday's demolition operation. With these arrests, the total number of arrested persons has risen to 19.
Addressing the media, Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer Vineet Abhishek said all unauthorised ground-level structures had been demolished. "The workforce is now dismantling upper floors of structures whose ground floors are eligible for rehabilitation. While removing the upper portions, we have to ensure the lower floors are not damaged. Around half the work has been completed and the remaining will be carried out on Saturday," he said.
Meanwhile, police arrested three more persons in connection with the violence during Wednesday's demolition drive. The accused were identified as Mohammad Saddam Shabbir Ansari, 35, Jainuddhin Alluddhin Abbasi, 55, and Tarun Mustaffa Jamil Khan, 21. Police said Saddam was identified from photographs allegedly showing him pelting stones during the clashes....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.