Accused remanded in police custody till Feb 18
Mumbai, Feb. 16 -- Five persons arrested in connection with the parapet collapse incident at a metro rail construction site in Mulund on Saturday, which left one person dead, were on Sunday remanded in police custody till February 18.
The five arrested accused include four executives of Gujarat-based infrastructure firm Milan Road Buildtech, which is handling work at the incident site - project director Harish Chauhan, project manager Kuldeep Sapkal, deputy project manager Saurab Singh and supervisor Prashant Bhoir. Avdhoot Inamdar, a project manager with Hill International Inc, the general consultant for the metro 4 corridor, is the fifth arrested accused.
Additionally, the Mulund police which is investigating the case have declared Sai Suresh and Ramashish as absconding accused in the case.
All accused have been booked under sections 105 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 110 (attempt to commit culpable homicide), 3 (5) (common intention) and 324 (5) (mischief) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.
According to sub-inspector Sunil Pawar from Mulund police station - the complainant in the case - he received a call around 12.35pm on Saturday from the day shift supervisor, informing him about an accident at the metro bridge construction site opposite the Johnson & Johnson office on LBS Road in Mulund West. When Pawar reached the spot, he was told that the injured had been rushed to Upasani Multispecialty Hospital.
Subsequently, Harish Chauhan, project director with Milan Road Buildtech, and those named by him during questioning told Pawar that the precast parapet block which collapsed on Saturday was placed on the bridge at night on February 12, but it was not fixed in place using concrete.
When eyewitnesses to the accident were questioned about these claims, they corroborated the same. They also complained about lack of safety measures at the metro site, and said the contractor had not taken any precautions despite repeated complaints.
Investigators believe that the accused installed the precast parapet block without any precautions and left it unconcreteised even though they knew that it cause a mishap....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.