NCW seeks govt report in Jodhpur gangrape case within seven days
JODHPUR, May 20 -- The National Commission for Women (NCW) has taken suo motu cognisance of the alleged gangrape, blackmail and subsequent suicides of two sisters in Rajasthan's Jodhpur district, while seeking an action taken report from the state government and police authorities within seven days.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the commission said chairperson Vijaya Rahatkar had written to the Rajasthan chief secretary and director general of police, directing them to ensure immediate, impartial and time-bound action. The commission sought details of the provisions invoked in the FIR, arrests made so far, the status of the investigation, collection of digital and forensic evidence, and alleged police inaction despite earlier complaints by the victims' family. It also sought information on legal aid, counselling, security and rehabilitation support extended to the family.
The case concerns two sisters from a rural area of Jodhpur district. According to the complaint lodged by the younger sister on April 11, she accused eight people of gangrape, blackmail and intimidation. She alleged that her elder sister had been sexually exploited for nearly four years after objectionable videos were allegedly recorded and used to blackmail her. The elder sister later died by suicide on March 20. In the same complaint, the younger sister alleged that after her sister's death the accused began threatening and blackmailing her by referring to the videos. She claimed that she too was sexually assaulted multiple times.
On May 15, the younger sister allegedly consumed a poisonous substance atop a water tank and later died during treatment. Her death triggered protests outside the MDM Hospital mortuary, with members of the Rajput community and other groups accusing police of negligence and demanding strict action against the accused as well as concerned police personnel.
An audio clip purportedly featuring a conversation between a police officer and the complainant has gone viral on social media, raising questions over the conduct of the local police. The authenticity of the clip has not been independently verified.
According to reports, the officer allegedly described the complainant as lying and blackmailing, and was also purportedly heard making remarks suggesting that no offence is made out if someone dies. However, police have denied knowledge of any such audio clip. Superintendent of Police (Jodhpur Rural) PD Ditya said the victim's family had raised allegations of negligence in the investigation, and therefore the probe conducted so far by the investigating officer would be re-examined....
इस लेख के रीप्रिंट को खरीदने या इस प्रकाशन का पूरा फ़ीड प्राप्त करने के लिए, कृपया
हमे संपर्क करें.