KANPUR, Aug. 5 -- A case spanning 49 years came to an end when the CJM court in Jhansi convicted a 71-year-old man, sentencing him to the period he had already served in judicial custody and imposed a fine of Rs 2,000, after his confession. An ailing and ageing Kanhaiya Lal stood before the chief judicial magistrate on Saturday and confessed to charges in a 1976 theft and embezzlement case, telling the court that he no longer had the strength to continue with the protracted legal process. "I am ageing and have grown weary of appearing in court again and again. I no longer have the strength to fight this case...I confess the crime and I want it to end," Lal said in the court. Following his voluntary confession, CJM Munnalal found him guilty under multiple sections of the Indian Penal Code, including 457 (housebreaking), 380 (theft), 409 (criminal breach of trust by public servant), 467 (forgery of valuable security), 468 (forgery for purpose of cheating) and 120B (criminal conspiracy). Taking into account his confession, the time already spent-nearly a year-in custody, and his health, the court delivered its verdict accordingly. It imposed fine of Rs 300 each under IPC sections 457, 380, 409, 468, and 120B, and Rs 500 under section 467. Upon paying the fine, Kanhaiya Lal was allowed to return home to Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh. Kanhaiya Lal, then employed as a peon at the LSS Cooperative Society in Bamanua village under Tahrauli police station limits, was one of three employees named in a complaint filed by the then secretary, Bihari Lal Gautam. The FIR (No 11), registered in 1976, alleged that Lal, along with two colleagues, Lakshmi Prasad and Raghunath, had stolen a receipt book and a wristwatch valued at Rs 150. Further investigations revealed that forged receipts with fake signatures had been used to collect Rs 14,472 from society members. Lakshmi Prasad alone was alleged to have misappropriated Rs 3,887.40. A case of theft and embezzlement was registered, and all three accused were arrested and sent to jail. They were later granted bail. Over time, the case became mired in delay. Both Lakshmi Prasad and Raghunath died during the course of the trial. Kanhaiya Lal, however, continued to appear before the court till 2012. Special prosecution officer Akhilesh Maurya said the case remained inactive for nine years before a warrant was issued against him in 2021. The charges were framed against him in December 23, 2023. Despite this, the trial lingered on. On the most recent hearing date, Lal appeared in the Jhansi court and informed the judge that he was suffering from age-related illness and wished to end the matter by pleading guilty. He requested that the court consider his age and condition while pronouncing the sentence, said Maurya....