Court stops MCG construction on plot marked for community centre
Gurugram, May 20 -- A Gurugram court has stayed further construction by the Municipal Corporation of Gurugram (MCG) on a disputed structure in a society in Sector 50 after residents alleged the civic body was illegally building a ward councillor's office on land earmarked for a community centre.
In an order passed on May 16, additional district judge Yashwinder Paul Singh directed MCG to maintain the status quo and stop further construction until the trial court decides the residents' plea seeking an injunction. The judge noted there was nothing on record to show MCG had obtained approval from the Directorate of Town and Country Planning (DTCP) or the district town planner for changing land use or constructing the office building and that allowing construction to continue could cause "irreparable loss" to residents, with public money also requiring protection pending a legality determination.
Court documents show the two-acre land belongs to a realty firm which developed the society and which gave MCG an NOC in 2022 to build a community centre after the colony was handed over to the civic body. The 2.099-acre plot was designated as a community centre in the sanctioned zoning plan of the township in Sectors 50 and 51. A senior DTCP official confirmed that DTCP wrote to MCG after receiving complaints from the developer and residents, directing it to stop construction over zoning plan violations. MCG had passed a tender in October 2025 with an estimated budget of Rs.50 lakh for a two-room ward committee office, with work beginning in February 2026.
The RWA first approached a lower trial court this month, which directed MCG to halt construction pending document submission on May 22. Residents allege MCG continued work despite that order and dumped construction waste in common areas. "After the lower trial court's order, MCG did not stop its work. It instead started dumping construction waste in common areas in the colony. We approached the police and filed a complaint," said resident Rajeev Singhal, adding that scrap was dumped near a children's play area. RWA member Manit Jaju said the developer confirmed in writing that the land was approved as a community centre, and MCG's NOC obtained in 2020 was specifically for a community centre, not a councillor's office. Land ownership has not been transferred to MCG; the civic body only took over maintenance, officials said.
The MCG sub-divisional officer Manoj Ahlawat denied the dumping allegations, saying materials were temporarily stored for internal road construction. He said the structure, covering around 150 square yards, had been approved by the commissioner but added that MCG would shut the project and convert the partially built structure into a guard room "so that the money spent is not wasted".
The lower court advanced its hearing to Tuesday from the previously scheduled May 22 date....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.