HC pulls up WFI over decision to declare Vinesh 'ineligible'
New Delhi, May 23 -- The Delhi High Court on Friday pulled up the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) over its Asian Games selection criteria, which limited eligibility to wrestlers who secured medals in 2025, excluding past performances, that effectively rendered Vinesh Phogat ineligible as well as its subsequent decision to bar her from participating in domestic events till June 26.
Earlier this year, the WFI framed its Asian Games selection policy. On May 6, it issued a circular restricting eligibility for the selection trials to medal winners of the 2025 National Championships, 2026 Federation Cup, 2026 U-20 National Championship and U-23 National Championship, provided these events were held before the trials.
The circular also clarified that past performances would not be considered, effectively rendering Phogat ineligible as the qualification window substantially overlapped with her sabbatical, return-to-training phase, pregnancy-related break and postpartum recovery period.
On May 9, the WFI further issued a notice barring Phogat from participating in domestic events till June 26, alleging indiscipline and violations related to anti-doping regulations, weight-related disqualification at the 2024 Paris Olympics, and failure to complete the mandatory six-month notice period required for athletes returning from retirement under United World Wrestling (UWW) anti-doping rules.
Phogat subsequently moved the High Court through senior advocate Rajshekhar Rao along with advocate Ritwik Prakash, challenging the selection policy and the notice, on the ground that earlier WFI regulations governing selection for major events, including Asian Games, expressly preserved discretionary consideration in favour of iconic wrestlers such as Olympic and Worlds medallists. However, a single judge on May 18 declined to allow her to participate in the trials scheduled for May 30-31, prompting her to appeal before a division bench.
A bench of Chief Justice DK Upadhyaya and Justice Tejas Karia said that it would pass orders on Phogat's petition for being permitted to participate in the trials it observed that the WFI's revised February and May 6 selection criteria marked "an absolute retrograde step" from its earlier policy. "She became a mother only in July 2025. We're on the possible explanations that are available, and she became a mother and motherhood in the country, is celebrated, and it is not looked upon like this. Everything is clear. Please do not act out of vengeance. Why the departure? Earlier till 2024 in addition you say anyone of repute will be included or participation in the selection process and it is merely a selection. That circular has a departure. Why?" The bench said.
It added, "The medals in one year - that was an opportunity which she never had because of motherhood. What is so wrong? This is absolutely a retrograde step. She is a wrestler of international repute, you cannot deny that. Why can't it be presumed that you changed it only because of her? This is absolutely shocking. You have to understand the situation in which the appellant has been for the last one year. Whatever maybe the dispute, that apart why because of all that... sports should suffer?"
This was after WFI lawyer Hemant Phalper defended the selection policy and submitted that Phogat could be asked to file a representation before the WFI seeking permission to participate in the trials despite being ineligible. He argued that it was Phogat's decision to retire, and not her motherhood, that had effectively rendered her ineligible, adding that 96 wrestlers had already been shortlisted for the trials.
However, the Centre's lawyer said that the decision to permit Phogat to participate in trials was WFI's decision and if the WFI allowed her to participate, it would ensure transparency during trials by appointing an independent observer from SAI and by airing the trials....
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.