Toronto, Aug. 23 -- A 27-year-old repeat offender is in custody after stabbing a priest and a volunteer with a screwdriver at the Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton, Alberta, early on Friday morning. The incident occurred around 5am when the suspect entered the gurdwara and tried to access the main prayer area. The gurdwara staff confronted the man, leading to an escalation that resulted in the stabbings. Witnesses intervened and subdued the attacker until Edmonton Police Service (EPS) officers arrived at 5.10am to make the arrest. The suspect, according to Canadian media reports, had been released from a Federal prison on Thursday after serving a sentence for aggravated assault and assaulting a peace officer. The assailant, believed to be Caucasian, used a screwdriver for the alleged stabbings. The victims, males aged 75 and 51, were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Gurdwara president Zora Singh Grewal told Hindustan Times that the victims were a "granthi" (priest) and a "sewadar" (volunteer). He said they were shocked at the attack. "Our temple is peaceful all the time. We never had a problem, but all of a sudden this person came in," he said. He said others at the gurdwara prevented the attacker from causing damage to the Guru Granth Sahib and subdued him before handing him over to the police, who were already looking for him as he had earlier threatened drivers on a highway. EPS' Investigative Response Team assumed the investigation and worked closely with its Hate Crimes Unit to determine if this incident was hate-motivated. Charges were pending against the suspect, who has yet to be named. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney expressed outrage over the attack on the gurdwara. In a social media post, he described it as "appalling." "My thoughts are with the two people who were injured and the wider community that is shaken by this terrible event. No one should ever feel unsafe in their place of worship," he added. Edmonton is the capital of the province of Alberta, and its Premier (equivalent of a chief minister in India), Danielle Smith, said in a social media post, "Everyone deserves to feel safe in their communities and places of worship, and we will continue to defend that right. We stand with the entire Sikh community across our province against recent acts of despicable violence over the last few days." Referring to the attacker's criminal background, she added, "Today's attack once again affirms why the federal government must take bail and parole reform seriously. Violent repeat offenders must be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and kept behind bars. Full stop." Akal Takht acting jathedar Giani Kuldeep Singh Gargaj condemned the attack and expressed relief that the Guru Granth Sahib was not harmed. He called for a thorough investigation into whether any anti-Sikh group or organisation had influenced or incited the attacker. Giani Gargaj also referred to recent threats received by gurdwaras in Calgary and urged authorities to investigate them seriously. The SGPC executive committee also condemned the attack in Edmonton gurdwara and asked Canadian authorities to take strict action against those responsible....