Sainsbury's branch suspends live facial recognition technology use after customer is wrongly accused of shoplifting
United Kingdom, Aug. 17 -- Sainsbury's has suspended its use of live facial recognition at one of its London stores after a customer was wrongly challenged as a suspected shoplifter.
Matt Arnold, 46, was shopping at the East Dulwich branch on August 6 when staff approached him at a self-service checkout and told him he had been flagged by the store's facial recognition system.
Arnold said he had already scanned his purchases and used his Nectar card before waiting for an employee to approve an alcohol purchase.
Instead, he was escorted from the store.
He told BBC London: "They came over and said I had to leave. The staff member said I'd been identified by the AI, and the cameras had flagged me."
Arnold described the experience as a "...
Click here to read full article from source
To read the full article or to get the complete feed from this publication, please
Contact Us.