Jakarta, Aug. 18 -- The Indonesian government has provided food assistance worth Rp100 billion (approximately US$5.59 million) for earthquake-affected residents in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT), the National Food Agency (Bapanas) said.

Bapanas Head and Agriculture Minister Andi Amran Sulaiman explained that the assistance came from the state budget and was allocated through Bapanas to meet the needs of survivors.

"We have sent assistance worth around Rp100 billion as of today, namely rice," he said after swearing in several officials from the Ministry of Agriculture and Bapanas in Jakarta on Tuesday.

Amran noted that the aid dispatched so far consists of rice provided by state logistics firm Bulog, adding that other various essential items,...