Mumbai, Dec. 4 -- The city is becoming more prone to fire, as there are no audits for high-rise buildings (Mahalaxmi SRA building flouted fire norms, December 3). In the Mahalaxmi fire incident, the residents had flouted norms by storing inflammable household items inside the meter room. The narrow corridors, filled with waste, made the situation worse. The fire was confined to first floor but the smoke soon engulfed to all the 18 floors. It is time to replace defunct fire-fighting systems in the building.

Published by HT Digital Content Services with permission from HT Mumbai....